Saturday, May 4, 2013

Designer Profiles: Balmain

I have to be honest, when people would ask me about my favorite designers or fashion houses, the name Balmain never once left my lips, until this year. I have never really taken the time to research the brand to be honest, nor did the designs catch my eye as those of Comme des Garcons, Dries Van Noten, or Tom Ford. Recently I have been reading, looking through editorials, and just about every time I look down to find the designer of a piece I love, wouldn't you know it, it read "Balmain".

This was reason enough to get me researching the brand. Here is a little profile of a designer and design house you should familiarize yourselves with; I am sensing an exciting future for this iconic fashion house and cannot wait until I can have one of the pieces for my own.

Pierre Balmain:

Born: May 18, 1914 (France)

Education: Studied Architecture, not fashion, at Ecole des Beaux Arts, in Paris.

1945: Opens first house of couture in Paris

1953: Expands to the United States market, where he shows his collections for the first time, under the name Jolie Madame.

1977: Sells his business, yet remains responsible for design

1982: Pierre passes away in June, leaving his former assistant, Erik Mortensen to take over as head designer of the brand.

1992: Oscar de la Renta becomes responsible for all the collections for House of Balmain

2011: Current design lead at House of Balmain- Olivier Rousteing

Also, Karl Lagerfeld studied under Balmain!


So I guess what really has begun to catch my eye, are the creative directions and designs of Mr. Rousteing. Though he is still fairly new to the house, in my opinion, he has done a seamless job of creating continuity and cohesiveness within the brand- most importantly, while maintaining his own sense of design. I will continue to mesmerized by this fashion house and Olivier's designs, and who knows, maybe one day I will have the pleasure of meeting him.







 Pierre Balmain
 Olivier Rousteing

xx Be sure to check out the collections if you haven't already, at Balmain

No comments:

Post a Comment