Friday, October 18, 2013

Reinventing, Recreating, Redefining.

 
Hey guys!

So it’s been awhile since my last post, but here I am attempting to provide an update on my life for those of you who are slightly curious. Finding time to block out  a solid couple of hours to write has been a challenge, especially between all nighters, 5am trips to the ER, and my accidental glass of wine turned bottle episodes during the stress.

I am human. I think?

Anyway, If you don’t know a whole lot about me let me give you some bullet points:

-I live for shoes, vintage fashion, Happy Hour, matte nail polish, and pineapple mango salsa from Whole Foods.

-I believe women are all unique and beautiful in their own way- regardless of size, and if you can’t choose to see that we most likely won’t get along.

-I play a little guitar, and I have just begun singing and attempting to write music. Yes, attempting being the key word. This is something I am not great at yet, but life is too short not to try right? If you’d like to listen, check it out at My Channel

-If I could, I would dress like Elton John always.

So, the above statements don’t complete me as a person, but as time goes on I hope to write more in depth about what makes me tick.



Now what I actually want to share is this:

For as long as I can remember I have always felt the need to do it all. The desire to learn, succeed, and repeat is one that seems to always be tugging on my heart. When I was 18 I thought, “hey it’s ok, you’re learning, you’ll eventually find that ONE thing you want to do”. Instead, I am almost 24 and I have done everything from makeup artistry, to selling liquor, to event planning, to hair, and the list goes on, seriously. I may seem like I have it all together, but most times I am just accumulating anxiety in my head about direction, life, and WHAT THE FUCK DO I DO NEXT? I am now back in school, so you could say I am back at the drawing board.


And then I had a long talk with my mom, sharing my anxiety and worry, hoping she could give me some clarity. After talking for an hour or so, she just asked me, “Lauren, what do you love? “


It was the simplest question I’ve ever asked myself. In fact, if you know my mom you probably are just as surprised as I was by her question. This lady is full of complexities and daily worries, so for her to put it so simply made me think. 


Turns out, there is A LOT of shit I love. My whole life I’ve spent telling myself that I had to choose one road and go down it. But life isn’t like that, in my case anyway. You choose a road, and there is almost always an obstruction or something causing you to change course. Life never goes as smoothly as we would like, therefore we are constantly reinventing, recreating, and redefining. You may be different and way ahead of me if you’ve known this for years, but for those of you like me, the people who cant even keep track of how many dreams they have because the possibilities appear endless- we ARE allowed to do it all. No one should con us into believing we have limitations- not our parents, not our friends, not our husbands/boyfriends/wives/girlfriends/partners- no one.


I answered my mom as simply as I could and said, “I love a little bit of everything I guess.”


And then before she swiftly had to hang up (the gardener was apparently banging on the window), she said “Well just do it all then. One thing at a time.”


Yes, this may either seem very simple to some or very stupid to others, but to me- it made sense. I am going to do it all, and it may take until my 70th birthday, but it is going to get done.


First order of action? Well, I have been toying with the idea for some time now because of my slight obsession and growing collection- but I am going to finally get started on selling vintage womenswear and menswear. I absolutely love the fashion industry (hate parts), and I love the vintage aesthetic- so naturally I have collected far more pieces than I should. My goal is to share my taste, positive vibes, and the beauty I see in fashion, with you.  So let it begin with a couple of items I will be putting up with the shop when I launch it!


XX











No comments:

Post a Comment